- Rang in the New Year tired, pregnant and sober.
- Took Society of Creative Founders Squirrel Challenge: goal setting and year planning (I’d never done serious goal setting and reviews before! Doing every year now thanks to this!)
- Babymoon/last flight trip to New York City
- Word of year momentum
- JL new member project in my lettering T-shirt
- Attended Creative Founders Conference where I had the best conference experience to date. Overnight and small/intimate is the way to go for me. So much information at this conference I’m still going back to my notes and plan to every year!
- St. Francesville anniversary weekend getaway
- Started MALWEST email newsletters
- Started using Later for instagram which makes social easier and prettier
- My baby shower (which was a lot more work for the mama-to-be than I thought but definitely did that to myself)
- Had wood floors redone
- Hired a junior designer (a first MALWEST design hire!)
- Became a mama to baby L — read about the birth here
- Newborn portraits
- Barely left the house but reemerged into society for my first beer on Father’s Day with the fam. Yep, L’s first outing was to a bar. I had a baby… in a bar. (technically a family friendly brewery)
- Threw a bachelorette party at my house, with a two month old.
- Sedona trip and L’s first wedding/flight.
- First beach day with L
- Donated 2+ gallons of breast milk this was thanks to a hurricane scare but a definite mom win moment!
- Being Boss NOLA conference/retreat. Met some amazing ladies- I always love NOLA but you know it’s a good trip when the location really didn’t matter.
- Baptized L
- Ls first Christmas tree cutting. A longstanding family tradition.
- First CPA meeting for MALWEST design – no more DIY on tax day or even shopping around to find the best book keeping deals but beginning a relationship with a team to keep MWD and the family in check.
- Snow in Pensacola!
- Jax for the holidays
My word for the year was momentum and I am happy with the motivation that gave me as well as the results. There were several things I wanted to accomplish/complete in 2017 but when a baby doesn’t nap for two months straight you learn to let things go. Also, “learn to give yourself grace” was some of the best mom-work-life advice I got all year! Another fave was “be in and enjoy your season of life” – I butchered that one but the sentiment is spot on.
Money goals: I didn’t make quite as much in 2017 as I did in 2016, which I anticipated because: baby. I did, however, make what I was expecting/planning for at the beginning of the year so that is a win in my book!
Philanthropy: Proud to say I’ve donated my time, my design services and money to worthy causes this year. They have been for mainly local Pensacola initiatives and I’m satisfied with that.
For 2018 *spoiler alert* my new word is RESET. Stay tuned for what that means for me and for MALWEST design in 2018!
I’m way behind on sharing these images from our travels to the Keys in February but there are still some fun patterns and trends I want to show. First, are the kitties. If you’ve been to Key West you know the story behind the cats. And if you’ve been to Hemingway’s House you’ve gotten a big dose. I’m not a cat person but even I was intrigued by the six-toed cats and the tours of the house are definitely worth your while!
The tiles at Hemingway’s house were really cool. My favorite are the deco fish in black and mustard. Hemingway had several wives so I’m not sure who is responsible for all of the decor and I don’t want to give too much of the tour away (because it’s worth seeing in person!) but the multi colored tile borders a urinal that a scorned wife tried to conceal in the yard!
Another fantastic tour was the trip to the Dry Tortugas. Totally worth the boat trip over where you can explore the fort, spot sleepy alligators, unintentionally snorkel with barracudas (shortest snorkeling experience ever!) and witness some truly beautiful landscape. It was a little overcast on our day but it was still an awesome experience.
Finally, to wrap up some favorite sites and design styles on my trip to the Keys, I have my favorite mailboxes in Little Torch Key:
It’s been a busy week, not to mention freezing cold- even in Florida! On top of it all I caught a cold so my posting has been quite delayed. Still, I wanted to share some sunny photos from St. Augustine over last weekend on Valentine’s Day with my Valentines. Can’t wait to compare beach sunsets as we head to Key West next week for our anniversary! More beach lovin’ to come soon!
Great birthday weekend in Tampa shared with Gasparilla!
Gasparilla was so fun and Tampa really gets into the spirit. I’ve never seen so many pirate flags and stripes. Aside from my snapshots of the parade they threw me on my birthday, 😉 I thought a few skulls would be in theme to highlight. I especially love the silk screen patch of “give me coffee or give me death” – definitely the mentality of Tampa the day after Gasparilla!